Saturday, June 15, 2013

Summer Drugstore Find: L'Oreal Colour Caresse Lipstick in Blushing Sequin

I know, I know, everyone and their dog has tried the Caresse lipstick in this particular shade; but I wanted IN the club with the cool kids, ya know? I'm not gonna lie, I didn't actually like Blushing Sequin a whole lot when I first got it... but my first impressions aren't sometimes so spot on as I would like to think.
'Ready to shine bright? Our #1 best-selling lipstick is now available in 16 gorgeously glossy shades. Colour Caresse by Colour Riche® is formulated with our revolutionary Lightfeel System to deliver a feather-light finish without being sticky or heavy.' (from L'Oreal Paris website) L'Oreal Colour Caresse in Blushing Sequin ($9.99 for 0.1 oz/ 2.83 g) is a sheer, balm-like lipstick with a glossy finish, encased in a slim gold packaging with color coded lids.
Truth be told, I could actually stop my review at this point because there's not a whole lot more you need to know about this. For me, the packaging is nothing to write home about, other than the fact that I already scratched the lipstick bullet with the lid, and it's a fingerprint magnet. As for formula, it's definitely lighter and more balmy than Revlon Lip Butters, which is something I actually prefer, although not as sheer and more waxy than something like Giorgio Armani Sheers (I need to dig out that beauty some time soon). In terms of lasting power, I would say it lasts as long as you can refrain from drinking and eating as it transfers very easily, however the lipstick leaves behind a nice hint of color without the dreaded ring around your lips. The most disappointing factor for me though, and something I majorly based my first impression on, is the fact that this formula feels quite drying on my lips after an hour or so of wear, so personally I think a lip balm underneath is a must.
So what made me change my mind? Well... it's the color, ladies. I find the shade Blushing Sequin the most beguiling warm summer pink; sheer, effortless, appropriate for both warm and cool looks (kinda like that Laura Mercier Lotus Pink blush - see where my heart lies these days?). Oh, and by the way, excuse the quality of the photos this time, I'm not exactly sure what happened, but my camera did not read these shades right; the lipstick colors are way more orange than in real life while the background appears to be more blue... let's try to ignore that, shall we? Anyway, not that you can see this in my swatches, but Blushing Sequin actually has tiny micro shimmers of hot fuschia that give it a bit more dimension on the lips. I think the overall effect is just very pretty and girly, young but not juvenile.
Compared to my other warm summer pinks/ corals, L'Oreal Blushing Sequin (far left) is definitely the sheerest and the pinkiest of the bunch, even though it doesn't appear so in the bullet. It doesn't quite dethrone my Maybelline First Class Fuschia (next one to the right) as THE summer lipstick but I'll enjoy using it for more understated lip days. These two manage to feel light and comfortable on the lips, while Wet'n'Wild Hot Paris Pink and YSL Pink Grenadine (far right) seem a lot heavier and more opaque.
Have you found any summer favorites at the drugstore recently? We don't really have true summer weather here yet, but I managed to pick out one more summery lip product to show you, so stay tuned. Have a fabulous weekend, lovely readers!

5 comments:

  1. I would actually get it if the lipstick is the same as the pictured (I have seen it on other blog and that kind of sheer pink coral usually turns hot pink on me). Anyway, I have just being hoarding some cheap toys from CVS during their seasonal clearance. Nothing too interesting but at least I got some back ups of the discontinued Revlon lipstick/glosses.

    Down here it's summer 10 out of 12 months of the year. I would prefer cooler seasons so at least I am not drenching in my sweat right now (OK, the weather is a little better today, only at 95 degrees...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this shade on you! I picked up one of these Caresses lippies a few months ago and ended up returning it...I found it drier out my lips and only lasted an hour. This shade definitely seems to have a following though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, the color is beautiful! i HAVE to try this.

    Summer OASAP Giveaway! Come and join here. :)

    :)
    Carrie
    http://readmylifeascarrie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay, this is SO pretty on you, Monika!!! :D I LOVE these L'Oreal Colour Caresses and have this one as well. My favorites are Sunset Angora (SO pretty!) and Sheer Linen (perfect for everyday!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. the color is gorgeous on you anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete