Wednesday, October 9, 2013

NYC Update & OPI Fall and Holiday 2013 Haul

Hullo, long time no see! I'm really sorry about the posting hiatus, lovelies - I had every intention (meaning, product shots taken, uploaded and ready to be edited) to update the blog, but you know... life gets in the way, as it would. The main obstacle, as you might know from Twitter, is that the screen on my blogging laptop has been damaged when flying into NYC; the lesson learnt is that when the airline tries to take your carry-on bag at the gate to throw in with the rest of checked-in luggage, you should pout, cry, and stomp your feet until they let you keep it (that, or just take the damn laptop out...). The result is that it'll still take a while to repair my ailing Dell with all the saved photos, and we shall try and make do in the meantime.

Other than this minor unpleasantness, we're all settled in and unpacked now, and tentatively exploring the neighborhood (yes! walking distance to Whole Foods AND Stumptown Coffee Roasters! It feels like West Coast already :) My brother just flew in yesterday from Warsaw and he's keeping us company so that we don't miss Pacific Northwest too terribly.
In more beauty-related news, I couldn't stop myself from picking up a couple Fall/Winter nail polish shades before I left Bellevue. OPI has come out with some gorgeous autumnal shades in their San Francisco collection, and after careful deliberation, I chose Muir Muir on the Wall and Lost on Lombard. I'm wearing the latter on my nails right now and it's so gorgeous - deep red with some slight brown undertones, but not as warm as to clash with my pinkish skin.
Just a couple days before my last day on the job, we received a shipment with OPI Mariah Carey Holiday 2013 collection; although it feels crazy to be talking about the holidays already, I was glad to get my hands on two wintery colors: Ski Slope Sweetie and Kiss Me at Midnight, a second Liquid Sand texture polish in my personal collection. I haven't worn either yet, but some in-store swatching proved that Ski Slope Sweetie looks ah-mazing over white, and Kiss Me at Midnight... well, on its own - you know my weakness for blue nail polish; it's a bit more purple-y and periwinkle-y than in the photos.
I hope you're all doing well and enjoying some beautiful fall weather; we've been very lucky here in New York so far, it doesn't even feel like it's October yet. I've missed talking to you, dears! Let me know in the comments if you have any questions or post requests, since I've been so MIA for the past month. Hugs!

11 comments:

  1. Oh, sorry about your laptop. Luckily I usually have mine with me on my handbag so TSA never dare to manhandle it.My laptop screen was broken by my little brother back in August, 1 day before school starts and I just went ahead and got a replacement screen from Amazon and replaced it myself (there are youtube videos for everything), otherwise the factory replacement would cost 1/2 price of the laptop.

    Anyway, have fun in NYC(I bet it's nice to walk around the city)and with your new toys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have mine with me too, but they took it away, cheeky little monsters. The replacement will cost a pretty penny but we're billing it to Delta, hopefully :) And yes, walking around is a lot of fun here! Hope you're well, dear :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you're well settled in now! Sorry about the laptop! Oh terrible.
    Hope you love love love NY. Such a wonderful place to be. The makeup availability around these parts is not so bad either. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes - I can actually see an Inglot store from our windows :P Make-up, and perfume... and Polish sausage! Yesss!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry about your laptop, Monika - that sucks :( But at least you're in NYC now! And it sounds amazing! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing the laptop a speedy recovery!

    The shades you picked look gorgeous against that sweater/blanket in the background. Perfect for fall.

    I'm always surprised by how much warmer NYC is, even though it's not that far away from Toronto. Being a few degrees south makes a huge difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was in toronto once in march and it was so cold i thought my skin would fall off lol. it was significantly colder/dryer than chicago that time of year. AND chicago is colder than nyc somehow lol.

      Delete
  5. i'm so glad to see you're settled! I totally missed that you were moving to nyc, but how exciting! :) good luck with the computer stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The newest update is that I should have my laptop up and running on Monday, woohoo!

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about the laptop, Monika. Sounds like you're settling in well. I haven't been to NY, and it all sounds very exciting. Perhaps some photos of your surrounding area, because I'm nosy like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll do my best, Lily! :) I already have some shots up on Instagram, if you're curious.

      Delete